8 Surefire Ways to be a Completely Unsuccessful Artist
You know we love you, right? Well, we’re here to give it to you straight. There’s no quicker path to becoming a completely unsuccessful artist than taking these eight tried and true steps.
1. When your art doesn't turn out how you envisioned, don't edit, change, or try again. Accept it as a failure and complain. A refusal to change will demonstrate your commitment to others, and artistry only works if you're committed.
2. Surround yourself with other artists as a means to fill your life with envy, while constantly comparing all of the ways in which they’ve achieved things that you have not.
3. Under no circumstances attempt to learn new ways in which to better your art. Do not practice, take a class, work with a group, or consider the advice of a mentor. For the love of anything artistic, do not purchase books, read, or view any items that may help you become a better artist. These are only opinions in a field in which there can be no "expert."
4. Consistently be concerned about the opinions of others. If your peers, critics, or your closest family and friends aren’t freely offering their opinions of your art, you have every right to demand such critique. This is a fair offering in exchange for the time you have put into your artistry.
5. Lack persistence and follow-through. These are hindrances to the new ideas that enter your brain on a whim.
6. If you fail once in your art, do not attempt to repeat what brought you down. It most likely means you are not cut out for that type of art, and should move on to a new art genre.
7. If you find yourself close to any type of success, give up before “making it.” Chances are that you won’t be able to replicate that type of success twice, and you’ll probably end up in a deep pit of despair if you try to, anyway.
8. Avoid having any type of “plan B.” Everyone knows that true artists either art or die.
Lastly, if you believed one sentence of this post, we hope it's the one that read, "you know we love you, right?"
Love what we publish? Tippy tap tap that heart button, leave us a comment, or....